Sunday 22 September 2013

I'm pregnant, not terminally ill, you idiot! - I loved it..........

You could call me biased, and totally loyal to one of my close friends, Lalita Iyer! But I would love to shoot all those people who claim to have written pregnancy books. I am guilty as charged for reading them and following them, but always always knew that there was something very important that I was missing.

I never was able to put a finger to it, and gave up trying once I finished the baby making, baking and birthing business.…. Until one day, when I laid my hands on “I’m Pregnant, Not Terminally Ill, You Idiot!”, and found what I had really missed…………… a real pregnancy book, with some real answers and, most of all, the feeling of not being alone in those supposedly weird situations and thoughts that ran through my head when I was pregnant.

We should go out drinking with other pregnant women to bitch and swear and share the lousiest moments of pregnancy with, instead of pretending to be what those stupid books and movies expect us to be. There is a lot of joy in having a baby, yes…. which is exactly why I decided to make not one but two, but there are also some really difficult, tough and never-happened-to-anyone-I-know kind of moments one faces during pregnancy. And I so truly agree with Lalita when she says that the mother of the mother-to-be is the only one who shows sympathy and acknowledges your experience.

I found myself smiling, laughing, crying, sighing with relief, but most of all nodding to every word and line in the book. With Lalita, I travelled 9 years back in my life, and rekindled every emotion, only this time with answers
.
While every reader may have different things to take away from the book, I, much to my husband’s chagrin, took away this: “I want to have another baby, please!” I am pretty sure Lalita didn’t intend it, but I want to finally enjoy and live out a pregnancy in the real world with real feelings, and most of all get into it knowing what is going to hit me!

Thank you Lalita Iyer for one of the most enjoyable reads ever. There is a charm to reading a book written by someone you know personally. It was almost like sitting on that sofa at home with a mug of hot diluted South Indian Kaapi and chatting with you. The topic was heavy, but the read, breezy. The lovely details in the black and white illustrations give the book so much life. My 5 year old has scanned through them a million times and loved them too.


I must confess that I have read it a couple of times already and can’t wait for another one from you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment